Welcome!

Welcome to my blog!

I’ve wanted to do a website of practical advice for single Christian women for almost 20 years now. In my 20’s, I was disappointed by the dearth of information for single Christian women that didn't involve finding the perfect husband. There was very little practical information about living life in general, and I wanted to fill that void.

A lot of information on this blog may seem like common sense, but a lot of women, especially young women just starting out on their own, really don’t know how to balance a checkbook or clean their home in a practical way. I hope to cover a variety of topics, both practical and spiritual. I am really excited about this blog!

Monday, January 2, 2012

Using Our Time to Serve God

Well, now that I have a fabulous layout and color scheme, it is time to get down to the business of blogging! This is not going to be a blog about finding the perfect husband, or how being single is soooo much better than being married. Neither attitude is healthy, or even scriptural. Singlehood is simply the season of our life we are currently in. We all go through different seasons in life, and each has its pros and cons. No season is any better or any worse than any other. Our job, as Christians, is to be content with where God has us, and to be as productive as we can in our current season.

I want to take a moment to reflect on the main benefit of being single: free time. Now most of you are probably saying "Free time? What's that?" But without the obligations of husbands and children, we have much more time to ourselves than other women.

As single women, we can take advantage of this extra time by getting involved in church and service projects. Ladies, we should be the first to volunteer for things that need done around church: teaching Sunday School, decorating for church dinners, preparing communion, working at the food bank, and so forth. Not that I do ALL of these things myself, nor do I expect any of you to do it all. We all have different gifts, and different areas we're called to serve in.

But we should be doing our share of church work, and maybe even a little bit more. It is easy to sit back and let the older, more experienced women do everything, but how is that preparing us to take over when they're gone? We need to let them mentor us and teach us how to keep the church running smoothly after they're gone.

And let's not get frustrated with other women our age. Some of us had "Super Moms," who could do it all: family, church, and career. But most women are not super moms. While the young mothers in our churches should be doing what they can, we simply can't expect them to do as much as we do. I find myself in this mindset sometimes. "Why don't the other younger women do this or that like I do, and my sister does?" (She's married but has no kids, so she's active in church, too.) But it can't be easy to raise several kids, keep a home, and have a career. We need to go easy on them and realize that once they are past this season of their lives, they will get more involved.

But the main thing that we should be doing with our free time is building our relationship with God. Right now, we have the advantage of being able to spend lots of time in daily prayer and Bible study. Some days I spend as much as an hour and a half in daily devotions. (Not that I'm oh so holy, my mind just wanders a lot, lol.) But in this season of life, we have the opportunity to become very close to God. Building that firm foundation now will give us a base of faith to depend on when we enter other seasons of our lives.

If you haven't done so today, take a few minutes to thank God for all His blessings in your life, and read a chapter or two of the Bible. And the next time the Ladies' Group is looking for someone to help with the next church banquet, be sure to offer your services!

1 comment:

Jacque said...

I really appreciate this, Michelle!