Welcome!

Welcome to my blog!

I’ve wanted to do a website of practical advice for single Christian women for almost 20 years now. In my 20’s, I was disappointed by the dearth of information for single Christian women that didn't involve finding the perfect husband. There was very little practical information about living life in general, and I wanted to fill that void.

A lot of information on this blog may seem like common sense, but a lot of women, especially young women just starting out on their own, really don’t know how to balance a checkbook or clean their home in a practical way. I hope to cover a variety of topics, both practical and spiritual. I am really excited about this blog!

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Organizing Basics

Well, it's been awhile since my last post, but I am back! And ready to organize! Now, some of this stuff is basic knowledge. But I'm sure that you can glean some new ideas, even if you're a master orgainzer!

1. Keep the stuff you use everyday close at  hand. Put the things you use only once a year (like holiday serving dishes or Christmas decorations) in those hard-to-reach areas. Keep your everyday items in areas that are easily accessible.

2. Kitchen hint #1: Keep items in cupboards next to the place they are used. For example, keep the coffee and filters in the cabinet above the coffee pot. Keep drinking glasses next to the fridge. Keep spices next to the oven. (Next to it, but not directly overhead, as the heat can cause them to lose their potency.)

3. Kitchen hint #2: Put away all appliances that you don't use at least once or twice a week. I lived for years with a toaster taking up cabinet space. I never ate toast, and had poptarts or frozen French toast maybe once every 2 or 3 months. I finally wised up, moved the toaster to the cupboard, and put something cute in its spot that made me smile when I looked at it. :)

4. Bathroom hint: Do NOT store medications (prescription or OTC) in the bathroom! The heat and humidity can damage their potency. I store my everyday meds in a pretty storage box in my computer room (where I take them every night), and my occasional pills (like cold medicine and Pepto Bismal) in a drawer in the hutch in the hallway.

5. Forget the ridiculous rule of "Handle paper only once." Seriously? Who goes through the mail, pulls out a bill, pays it, and then moves on to the next piece? Sort things down and get your paper clutter under control. I have three piles: file, handle, and pitch. Okay, the "pitch" pile goes straight in the trash. The file pile (bank statements and so forth) gets filed as soon as possible. The handle pile gets "handled" appropriately: bills to pay get put in my bill-paying bin, things I need to look up on-line get put next to the computer, and so forth.

6. Make up bill-paying box. It can be a pretty box from a craft store, something you decorate yourself, or even just a plain old shoebox. Include everything you need to pay bills: Pen, stamps, envelopes, calculator, and checkbook (if you don't keep it in your purse). That way, when it's time to pay bills, just grab the pile of bills from your bill-paying pile and your box, and you're ready to go! 

In addition to my bill-paying box, I have one for sending out the missions checks from church (I am treasurer of our church's Missions Committee). It includes everything listed above, plus a highlighter for balancing up the checkbook with the bank statement. When I get a new bank statement, I just toss it in the box. That way I know just where it is, and I don't have to rummage through my office looking for it.

Those are just some organizing basics to get you started. There are tons of books and websites out there to explore when you're ready to take it to the next step! One of my favorites is a blog called IHeartOrganizing (link is below in my favorite blog list). She always has cute stuff, both from her own house, and from readers' contributions.

Now that you are getting your home under control, we'll talk about getting your life under control the next time!

No comments: